What is Chai Day?
35% of women experience gender-based violence at some point in their lives. November 25 is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, a day dedicated to raise public awareness about this and other appalling statistics.
In 2016, The Asian Circle conceived Chai Day as a way to raise awareness and funds to support survivors of gender-based violence.
Many supporters of The Circle and The Asian Circle held their own Chai Days with their friends and family, at their universities, at work and at home. We are delighted to say that it was a great success and together we raised vital funds to support survivors of gender-based violence in the UK and overseas.
This year, we encourage you once more to hold a Chai Day in your community, and help us spread the word about the scope and impact of gender-based violence around the world.
How to hold your own Chai Day
Chai Day is all about you coming together with friends, family or colleagues over a cup of chai. It is a way to raise awareness about the issue of violence against women in your community and to help us raise funds to support survivors of gender-based violence.
This is what you have to do…
1. Pick a date: The official Chai Day is on 25 November, the International Day of the Elimination of Violence against Women, but there are a further 16 Days of Activism until Human Rights Day on 10 December for you to choose from.
2. Send out your invitations and prepare your Chai Day.
3. Gather your friends, family or colleagues, hold your Chai Day and start a conversation about gender-based violence with your community.
4. Pay in the money you have raised to help end violence against women and girls around the world.
All funds raised through Chai Day will go towards supporting…
- Brave New World project, Oxfam.
- The Nonceba Family Counselling Centre
- End Violence Against Women Coalition.
- Rape Crisis Scotland.
Download and personalise your Chai Day materials
Here you can find more information about Chai Day, gender-based violence and and ideas to help you host a successful event.